Thursday, April 30, 2020

Cranberry Orange Bread

Cranberry Orange Bread
Ingredients: 
2 C organic whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp baking powder (I use reduced-sodium)
1/4 tsp salt
1 C fresh cranberries, chopped
1/2 C chopped walnuts
3/4 C sucanat
1 flax egg* (needs 1 TBSP ground flax)
1/2 C organic unsweetened applesauce
1 organic orange, zested & juiced
1 mandarin orange, juiced (optional**)
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Mix the flax egg *(whisk 1 TBSP ground flaxseed + 3 TBSP water) & set aside.
Zest & juice the orange & juice the mandarin; set aside.
Chop the cranberries (I like to use frozen cranberries, cut into halves & quarters depending on their size, while they're still mostly frozen), set aside.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the cranberries, sugar, & walnuts. 

In a separate bowl, combine the flax egg, applesauce, orange juice, orange zest, & vanilla. Slowly add the liquid mixture to the dry mix & stir to combine, being careful not to overmix. 

Pour the batter into a silicone loaf pan and bake at 350ºF for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, remove from pan & continue to cool. 

**I find the batter is often a bit dry so like to add the juice of 1/2 - 1 mandarin orange if I have one. It adds sweetness & a nice flavor as well as just enough additional liquid. If you need extra moisture & don't have a mandarin, use a bit more orange juice.

Notes: The original recipe called for oil, which we sub with applesauce. Some fat-free baked goods can be a tad rubbery & have a far better texture if allowed to sit overnight, but this one is perfectly fine even warm from the oven!

I like to sprinkle a bit of demerara sugar crystals over the top just before baking, but that's totally optional.

(I found the original recipe years ago on the website/blog delicious-knowledge.com, which is now defunct. I changed the recipe a lot anyway, so now consider it mine. Enjoy!)

No comments:

Post a Comment